Thursday, March 27, 2014

The structure works- now its time for design decisions

After the one to one scale tryout I had to make one to five scale prototype using laser cutter. I had to see the shape and how a chair can become a daybed when more parts are added.


 I cut different shapes of backs to decide how it should look like. All of them were to square and reminded garden furniture. That wasnt what I wanted at all. Horrible.



When it became a day bed it became even more horrible. It were to many parts, it became heavy and the result were not justifying so many parts.



 The only good thing that came out of that were the wedges. I tried different shapes.



Then I thought that maybe its better to have backless seat. It reduces the weight and this one can serve as a storage place (the pipe). But I still had a problem with how the bed looks like.


after speaking with some people I knew I have to change the bed. I still wanted that my chair will be able to transform to something else. So I thought about a coffee table. 
Now I could play with the shape more since Im not limited with legs width. 
I started to sketch from cardboard


Now it was decided: Backless rocking low chair that becomes a table. The legs are very simple. You can just put them under the chair legs. Detailed pictures will come..
Now I have to decide on the shape. The silhouette of the chair. It should speak furniture and not a toy, But not a square either. How to find the balance. Tomorrow I will look at rocking armchair silhouettes. Its interesting how we recognize objects by their silhouettes and even a small shift can provoke totally different association.










2 comments: